Wednesday, February 2, 2011

My daily routine at school - by Chloe

Here's my routine for the people out there who were wondering about my school day in Bali.

My morning is getting up at 6:45, being lazy for 15 min, getting dressed, going to see the chicks, eating breakfast,being lazy going to lie down, brushing my teeth and hair, packing my school bag, getting my shoes on and heading out the door to meet our driver. I get into the car and listen to my iPod for the 20 minute to 30 minute drive to school. When I get to school i have 15min of home room and then my school day starts.

Heres my daily schedule:


Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

Thursday

Friday

drama

PE

Indonesian studies

PE

math

music

Global awareness

Spanish

Music

English

break

break

break

break

break

English

English

English

English

art

math

math

math

math

art

lunch

lunch

lunch

lunch

lunch

Global awareness

Green studies

library

science

assembly

Indonesian studies

Green studies

Green studies

science

Community service


On Tuesday after school I have an after school activity that is called Creative Arts with Pak (Mr.) Sussiawan and Ibu (Ms.) Susan. I am about to start Capioera next week on Thursdays (Caprioera is a Brazilian martial art that includes dance, music, and fighting). On Fridays I swim with the school swim team for the first two periods.

I love drama on Monday mornings. This is the perk of my day. In drama we sing, we dance, and we act. We also get to play music. Today we did a dragon dance for the Chinese New Year. I was one of the drummers and so was Elana, one of my friends (she's from Seattle in the US). I also love green studies because we get to go on hikes, we get to garden and dig in cow poo and horse poo (manure!!!!!!). I love to get dirty. At the end of the day my mom says to have a bath but I never do. Instead I go in the pool downstairs and swim with Ava and Maia. Also in green studies we're planting corn, peanuts, watermelon, okra, cucumbers and some herbs and spices in our classes' little garden. In the school garden there is a lot of stuff. Everything we have at the Warung (school cafe) and in school lunches comes from the school gardens.

At school they only use bread that they make and everything is homemade. They're building a lunch hall that's shaped like a dragon and it's made out of flattened oil drums. There has been a competition in art class to design the head of dragon fo rthe lunch hall. I did the Canadian Dragon. It has horns that make it look like a maple leaf. I looked it up on the internet. It' doesn't look ferocious, it looks friendly but it can still take another dragon that is trying to kill it down.

At the end of the week we do some community work and start to slow ourselves down. Our community work is on the Merangie Foundation. It's a foundation that grows bamboo for farmers that don't get that much money. The Merangie foundation will give them some bamboo and then the farmers can keep it growing over years because if you chop a piced of bamboo it will grow back. They get a pot of bamboo and it grows then the farmers can sell pieces of it or make thing sout of it to sell. We count all the bamboo around the school that is still living and we GPS them onto Google Earth. I don't know why we do this.

The assemblies on Fridays help slow things down a bit with the principle and everyone all you have to do is sit back and listen and keep your eyes and ears open but maybe shut your brain down.

At the end of my school day I go to the Warung and wait for my driver and look around for my sisters. I talk to my friends while waiting. I finally get into the car and go home. That's the end of my school day.

When I get home I have an after school snack and then Nuadi and Neoman make us supper.

Goodnight...

1 comment:

  1. Hi Chloe - It sounds like you are having an interesting time in Bali.

    My guess is that the teachers are using the bamboo counting to get you using Google Earth in an interesting way. Once you know how to track bamboo on Google Earth, you can move on to tracking poor people or endangered animal species or even stores that sell gummi bears!

    By the way, I've always wondered about the word "poo-l" but I guess with all that horse and cow poo you work with at school it's easy to get the poo- in pool! Ha!! Jes kiddin....;o)

    Thanks for the interesting and detailed account of your day!! It really helps me to get a picture of your adventures.....

    Love, Uncle Michael

    ReplyDelete