Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Bali Zoo - by Chloe

On Sunday we took a drive to the Bali Zoo. When we first arrived my dad bought tickets and we saw parrots and other types of birds. Then we walked up and they let us hold some of the birds. It didn't really hurt, but they were pretty heavy. Then we walked up to the entrance of the Bali Zoo and saw people feeding the lions. They put the raw meat on a hook and then they put it on a clothesline-like rope. They wheeled it over to where the lions were and then the lions went and tried to eat it. They started fighting over who would get it. 
Maia holding a parrot at the Bali Zoo

We walked in to the entrance and a person had a Bear Cat on her. She asked it we wanted to hold him. We all hesitated and then my dad said "well, I'll hold him." As soon as my dad was done his turn with the Bear Cat I held him. He was fuzzy but wasn't smooth. It was kind of like pig's hair because it was soft but prickly. 
A Bear Cat at the Bali Zoo

Then we walked and we saw a crocodile habitat. We walked up on to the stairs above the habitat and saw the crocodile. He looked scary and huge. It was nice because he didn't move or snap his jaw. He was just relaxing and tanning in the sun. 

I saw a wild boar for the first time in my life. It wasn't wild because it was in captivity. It rolled in mud because it had a mud pit and it ate slop like a regular pig. We saw more different types of birds. We got to see tigers - one of the tigers had three legs. We got to see monkeys of different sorts and then we saw bats in an aviary. We started walking to the petting zoo. When we got there we fed the animals. They were mostly deer and horses. They were cute. Maia loved the little ones and she didn't want to leave. When it was time to go she went back to say goodbye. Ava went in on a special treat to see a wallaby (a wallaby is like a small kangaroo) and she got to feed the wallaby. It looked very small and cute. 

We then got to hold an owl. The owl was very heavy! We walked on and saw a broken down house that was hit by a tree. Next we saw camels. Ava tried to give it a banana but it was too lazy to get up. I thought that was funny. My dad fed a bat a banana. Then we saw more monkeys. A guy came out and asked if we'd like to feed the tigers. I said "YES!" He came back with a box of meat and a stick. It was a bit scary because I thought the tiger was going to take the stick. The bigger tiger ate the meat I gave it. The smaller tiger ate the meat Ava gave it. 
My Dad holding an owl

There was an orangutan and a sign that said "WARNING, if you feed the orangutan it may throw the food back at you." I was scared, but luckily I saw the exit sign. My sister wanted to feed it a banana. Although I warned her not to, she told my dad to throw the banana into his habitat and when he did, the orangutan just stared at him like a drunk guy.

Chloe and the python
We exited and went over to the restaurant where we had lunch. After we arrived in the restaurant people came in singing and they were dressed up as cave women. They told us we would get to hold animals. The first animal was a python and, of course, me and Ava went to hold it. It was heavy. Next was a baby crocodile. It was cute. Then a Bear Cat, for the second time. Last but not least, we got to hold baby lion cubs. They weren't in the best mood that day. They were scratching and hissing at people, but we still sat next to them and pet them. One lady got bit by one of them. They looked cute but they were vicious.

Ava, Chloe and a grumpy baby lion

It was time to go because Wayan was waiting in the car. Boy do I hope to go back to that zoo again. Maybe next time I'll get to hold a different animal.

1 comment:

  1. Nicely written, Chloe! Sounds like the best zoo ever! Write on! Love, Uncle Michael

    ReplyDelete